Nature is at the heart of everything we do, from the way we grow and hand harvest our botanicals to the way our gins are packaged. For us, being ‘sustainable’ isn’t just using less plastic and recycling where possible, although that is important, it really means working hand in hand with nature, a relationship that should be based on give and take. It is all about balance, and the collective outcome of that balance is sustainability.
As a Distillery and Herb Nursey we specialise in edible, medicinal herbs, and flowers as well as native wild plants, all of which benefit nature. Our range of gins and other wellbeing products follow the same ethos and are a celebration of all things wild.
The future of the earth and the beauty it beholds is at the forefront of everything we create, it is why we began our journey and why we do what we do, so we can showcase the true magic of nature.
To do this we have created an entire business that revolves around the health of the earth because although we are a distillery, café, and shop, most importantly we are a Garden, one that is truly rooted in nature.
- Our garden is completely natural, we use no chemicals, pesticides, or herbicides. It is created in a way so that it is completely sustainable as well as self-sufficient, this is also known as permaculture.
- All the botanicals in our gardens are hand-harvested, there is no machinery in the process, this helps reduce our carbon footprint.
- When soil is ploughed, it breaks up and releases the trapped carbon, therefore we limit digging in our gardens, which means, not only are we keeping the trapped carbon in the soil, but we are also actually capturing more.
- We only use completely organic compost alongside our own, this ensures no chemicals touch our soil.
- In the garden, we limit our plastic consumption to only using recyclable plastic pots and offering discounts when these are returned.
- We have planted over 8,500 trees and juniper as hedging and field cover which encourages wildlife, carbon capture and soil health.
Since the start of our journey in 2012, we have always had bees at the centre of everything we do from bee keeping courses, educating school children, and harvesting our honey from our hives. Liberty, our co-founder, is also a trained beekeeper and looks after our 30+ on-site hives.
Most importantly though, we farm specifically for their well-being. To do this we don’t use any sort of pesticides, herbicides or chemicals nor have we ever. We keep wild corridors in our garden, where the grass isn’t obsessively cut and ‘weeds’ can prosper and grow.
We embrace these wild botanicals (weeds), such as the dandelion, not only for its beautiful sunny face that floods our lawns in Spring, but most importantly because it’s an early and critical source of pollen that is a life saver for the bees at this time of year.
OUR PRODUCTS & PRODUCTION
- All our redesigned labels are created with 30% grass and 70% FSC-certified virgin pulp. This material is manufactured without the use of any chemicals, so compared to normal labels, ours require 97% less energy and 99% less water to be produced. This results in CO2 savings of around 75%.
- Our glass bottles are widely and easily recycled.
- We use viscose shrink bands to seal our bottles because they are biodegradable.
- All our shipping materials only consist of paper which is FSCS approved and recyclable.