How to Make the Perfect Gin & Tonic | How to Drink Gin
By Francesca Martin, Marketing Manager
When I first began experimenting with drinks and cocktails, I discovered very quickly that gin wasn't something I particularly enjoyed, it was in fact my least favourite thing to drink - I went out of my way to avoid it.
Now, a gin & tonic is my go-to drink. I think this is because I have worked with many knowledgeable people within the drinks industry. Although I couldn't tell you anything else I've learnt from them, I can tell you about the tips & tricks that they taught me so that you can really experience the full flavour that a craft gin has to offer.
Everything chilled - room temperature is banned in the art of G&T'ing. Make sure you have plenty of ice, a chilled glass and that your mixer is fresh out of the fridge.
Find a mixer that works for you and your favourite gin
- most producers will let you know what works best with their gin but it doesn't need to stop there, explore the different mixers that are around. I found Fever-Tree
's pairing wheel to be really helpful as well as fun! You can find that here.
Choose a garnish wisely - fresh fruit and dried herbs are the way to go. Again, it will depend on what goes well with your chosen gin and the producer will usually give you ideas so definitely try what they suggest.
The G to T Ratio - the general advice with a Gin & Tonic is 2:1 (in favour of the tonic obviously!) I would suggest playing around with this though - I love a happy home measure of gin and then topping my highball glass all the way to the top with tonic - this gives me a balanced G&T, without suffocating the flavour with tonic.
- when preparing a drink, the presentation is just as important as the final flavour so this is how I create my all time favourite Gin & Tonic using our Apothecary Rose Gin.
- Firstly; fill a chilled highball glass with a healthy handful of good quality cubed ice.
- Secondly; pour around 50ml of Apothecary Rose Gin into the chilled glass.
- Thirdly; top the glass up with my absolute favourite Fever-Tree Elderflower Tonic Water.
- Lastly; gently sprinkle our Apothecary Rose Petals over the top.