Whisky is the traditional tipple of choice when toasting the Bard on January 25th as Scots all around the world celebrate the birthday of the Scottish poet Robert Burns. This year we wanted to create alternatives that recreated the flavours of a traditional Burns Supper.
First may we present the Orange and Peppercorn Twist:This easy cocktail is the perfect welcome drink to your Burns Dinner being both spiced and refreshing. We were looking for inspiration from the spices used to make the traditional haggis and created this refreshing fusion to serve your guests.
50ml Secret Garden Distillery Wild Gin (buy here)
Top with Tonic Water
Orange slice and rosemary to garnish
- Prepare high-ball glass in advance by chilling in fridge overnight.
- Pepper the side of your chilled high-ball glass.
- Build ingredients into glass with cubed ice.
- Garnish with orange slice and rosemary sprig
Next, we have used our Lavender Gin with apples and honey inspired by living in the Pentland Hills to create our Heathered Honey Hues cocktail - a perfect alternative to whisky when toasting the Bard.
35ml Secret Garden Lavender Gin (buy here)
15ml Calvados (Apple Brandy)
15ml Honey Syrup
15ml Fresh Lemon Juice
1 Egg White
Top with Soda Water
- Add egg white into an empty cocktail shaker and conduct a dry shake. Then add ice and remaining ingredients (excluding soda water). Shake until chilled.
- Double strain into a high-ball glass
- Top with soda water and garnish with frozen raspberries.